Our aim is to promote and develop the River Colne and surrounding areas as a recreational, cultural and environmental resource for the whole community.
- To create a continuous access route or alternative connecting routes, alongside the river to facilitate recreational use.
- Improve river habitats for wildlife; in particular the restoration of fish passage for migratory species like trout and salmon.
- Improve the quality of the riverside environment by reducing litter and anti-social behaviour through targeted work programmes and site adoptions.
- Raise public and corporate awareness of the economic, cultural and environmental value of the river and the work of Greenstreams to encourage further investment in the Project.
- Use the Greenstreams Project as a model for bringing together environmental, social and business interests.
The day to day administration of the project and the implementation of practical works and volunteering events are managed by Environment Kirklees Ltd (previously Environmental Alliance Ltd), a Huddersfield based not-for-profit company with many years experience of working to develop the river.
Over the years the project has developed a strong backing from local businesses who can utilise their support for Greenstreams as a means of implementing their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives. With this approach Greenstreams has been able to grow in scope and influence, and develop sustainable funding strategies to support new works and maintain the effects of the good work already carried out using discrete project funding and volunteers.